Personally, for me this year, my biggest technical advances were:
- Learning bash scripting, provisioning servers, deployment scripts.
- Developing on a Mac… yes I know i’m behind the curve here 🙂
- Changing to IntelliJ from Eclipse… it’s worth the $$$.
- Forcing myself to use Sinatra to build an app rather than Rails… and building it up to the point where it is becoming a Rails app.
- I will migrate it across once Rails 4 goes standard. This helps me appreciate what Rails gives you, what it forces you into, and understand more about which modules it wraps up and the conventions it gives you.
- Getting a nice 14″ Lenovo i5/SSD/8GB to use on the train… any larger is uncomfortable. The new Mac Pro 13″ looks like a good size too.
- Spending time *away* from code to give my ideas time to settle / step away from the keyboard. As valuable as coding itself.
- Getting a Telstra 4G phone to use the internet on the train… for better or worse, the Telstra mobile network is very fast and reliable.
error: 2013 is undefined