Tips to increase your dev-fu (java devs mainly):
- spend 10 minutes every day asking yourself how to improve your IDE / environment… what do you spend the most time doing each day that is repetitive?
- learn REGEX. It’s everywhere… if you have to replace/modify more than 2-3 LOC, use a find/replace. If that doesn’t fit, REGEX is your friend. Also learn SED once you’ve learned Linux 🙂
- printout that keymap of your IDE… circle shortcuts you wanna learn then make a concious effort to learn them. Test yourself the next day / week by trying to recall it with your muscle memory. Practising on different computers / keyboards reinforces it… especially mac vs. non-mac keyboards 🙂
- Pair!!! I have learned the most shortcuts / configuration options from pairing or looking at others IDEs and asking questions.
- Consider Chrome your browser of choice. I was Firefox for a long time, but Chrome seems quicker and i’m more productive on it now.
- if you are a frontend dev, research a bit on browser plugins for helpful tools like screen resizing, URL testing, JSON parsing, CSS reloading etc.
- learn Linux, learn the shell and the command line…
- learn Git (if you haven’t already), setup a few repos, patch some code on github.com – it’s good for the soul 🙂